Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pushing forward


With about three weeks to go, the fatigue has started to set in, both physical and mental. This past week was full of events from the new volunteers Ria and Eli's arrival to the old volunteers Meghan and Dylan's departure, lots of arrangements, parties and transport. But not much in terms of progress on my research. I've come to understand, that's just the way things work round here and having patience with so little time left is frustrating. Its really different being here both as a researcher and not as a volunteer, and as an "older" individual compared to the others who are just out of undergrad or even younger in the community. Many times as much I'd love to hangout (and believe me Dominicans love to hangout) with everyone I find myself needing to read, organize my data, or head down to town for email. Long story short, it takes more time to really invest in people AND a project than I have in my short 3 months. For example, I can't tell you how many farmers I've interviewed that on my way out all I could think about was how much I wanted to return one day and work in the fields with that guy. Regardless, even with all the distractions and frustrations life has been full of beautiful scenery and relationships. Estoy contento.

To date, we've interviewed about 43 households, a fabulous sampling of farmers throughout the region, the crux is returning to at least 20 of them in the coming two weeks for a sample of coffee farm biodiversity. I'm hoping to hire a couple of folks from the farm in addition to the graduate student forester from Canada, Alex I was able to acquire.

Today was HOT so we spent most of it at the river watching the boys of El Dulce play El Manguito in a best three out of five baseball tournament. My brother comes on Saturday and Dad the week thereafter. I'm stoked to see and share with them. The plan is to continue to work really hard until then, accomplish what can be accomplished, make my recommendations to the coffee associations, and then chill for the remainder of my time. Back to Vermont end of the month with lots to do before school starts. Hope that summer rain has succeeded I'm ready for a short canoe trip and backyard bbq.

No comments: